So, first post, where to begin..
I have very recently celebrated my 28th birthday, which has caused me to pause and review where I’m at right now. I’ve come to the realisation that I will never be this young again, so there is no time like the present to make this life as healthy as can be. Now I’m not one for massive life changes, so slow steady steps it shall be, I’m starting with diet and replacing bad with good.
I’m starting with my insatiable sweet tooth and a recipe for cocoa bliss balls, a delicious alternative to sugary snacks that are a cinch to whip up and enjoy straight away. Best of all they can be modified to suit what you have on hand, not to mention they are grain, dairy, soy and refined sugar free!
What you need:
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 cup nuts (I used almonds, but walnuts will do – recipe also called for activated nuts (?), roasted worked just fine!)
- 1/3 cup raw organic cacao powder (nestle baking cocoa works too, like I said, small steps)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded coconut (I had desiccated in the pantry, just as tasty)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
What you do:
- Soak dates in warm water for 15 minutes to soften.
- Whilst dates are soaking add nuts, cacao, shredded coconut, coconut oil and chia seeds to processor and mix.
- Add dates and process.
- If mixture is too dry add either a tablespoon of filtered water, or a little bit more coconut oil.
- Let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll mixture into bite size ball size
Make a big batch and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will last about a week, if you don’t eat them all first! Even Mr Dash enjoyed these, despite the lack of refined sugar or packaging. The chia seeds are a little surprise package of nutrition that will swell on contact with water in the stomach. The chia and dates combine to give you a fibre kick in a sweet little treat between meals!